Friday, April 1, 2011

Getting ready for a marathon! Or at least half : )

Some people give up fast food or alcohol for Lent, I pick up running.

As Spring approaches, it's become bearable to once again actually enjoy running.  I had been sequestered to layering on my jogging pants, zipping up and double buttoning my ski jacket, and then topping my head and very prone ears with a runner's hat (yes, they make those).  Add to that my gloves, which help keep those digitals attached.  Ever go winter running without gloves?  It's hell!
Practical as my ski jacket may have been, with its numerous - and cleverly hidden - pockets, where I could fashionably conceal my iPod, I have now shed that wintry shell in exchange for something a bit lighter.

My respiratory sickness in March lasted much longer this year - it's been over a month and loyally sticking with me - or to my esophagus.  Despite the soar throat, I'm thrilled to get outside and let the newly fresh and warm air do its healing.  I had been running earlier in the Fall, but this damn cold has swung hard and put me out of the game for a while, with health deteriorating.  Now I've been given the chance through this new warm weather to get back out and fight!

On discussing my renewed pull to run, a colleague and good acquaintance of mine from school mentioned  that Linz would be putting on its annual city marathon:

http://www.linz-marathon.at/

...and she suggested I run with her.  To which I responded, "Hell, yeah!"

This was the ardor I needed to get me out and about more.  Now don't get excited, I'll only be running the half-marathon alongside my colleague; but, that is still about 20k!

I've been "training" to prepare myself for the long run.  Every other day, I attempt to run further than the previous round.  I leave my neighborhood in St. Magdalena, head out on an asphalt path along a creek, and then enter onto the Donaugelände, a.k.a. a runner's paradise in Linz.  Here is a route planned out for my 20k practice run.

No comments: