Thursday, May 5, 2011

Renewed Vigor

Despite having only had a wink of sleep on the final night of my seminar, I still admit to having an outstanding time.  Fulbright held a seminar last week in Altenmarkt (photo on right) on American studies, which they advertised as being a chance for American and Austrian grantees and Fulbright professors at Austrian universities to meet together and exchange their experiences.  I had the opportunity to hear professors give lectures on their broad research topics, including whether Transatlantic relations are still hanging together, how former US presidents were educated, as well as how tax reform in the US is divided.  In retrospect, I gained most from meeting Austrian students who will be heading for the US next year to complete a degree on Fulbright grant money.  Admittedly, I experienced slight envy towards the students heading to Columbia for a tuition-free Master's in diplomacy and economics; however, we did share a lot in common and promised to visit each other next year.

Recently, I received word from Berlin that my application to study at Humboldt was declined.  Difficult as that may be, the admissions office was kind enough to show that I was close in the picking - making the top 15% before the cut.  Doors open when others close, as they say, and I have a strong sense from last week's seminar that there are many options besides Berlin.  Maybe I should take my search for grad schools closer to home, and maybe listen in for the bells at St. Stephan's.

No comments: